If the hall is considered the face of a house or apartment, then the bathroom is a real hidden place of power. This is where we can relax, enjoy our favorite water treatments and self-care. Today it is not customary to treat bathrooms in a purely utilitarian way: designers and even psychotherapists recommend considering them as an ideal corner for visual and physical relaxation.
For some it may come as a surprise, but bathroom design trends change almost more often than living room and kitchen design trends. The variety of materials and imaginations of interior stylists allow finding the most extraordinary and unexpected solutions for such seemingly not too large rooms – and it seems that their supply is limitless. Those who closely follow the changes in the arrangement of apartments should find out a little more about what techniques in decoration and decoration will be fashionable for the bathroom trends in 2022.
Top 5 bathroom design trends of 2022
- 1 Top 5 bathroom design trends of 2022
- 2 Trendy Bathroom Colors 2022
- 3 New trends in bathroom lighting 2022
- 4 Bathroom Flooring Trends 2022
- 5 Bathroom tile trends 2022
- 6 Bathroom Faucet Trends 2022
- 7 Bathroom Cabinet Trends 2022
- 8 2022 bathroom mirror trends
- 9 Trends for small bathrooms 2022
- 10 Bathroom counter trends 2022
2022 is a time of simplicity and naturalness. Luxurious bathrooms, comparable in decoration almost to palaces, and tiles of bright marker colors and something already completely psychedelic like a total black bathroom with floor lighting, are gradually disappearing into the past. According to the designers, now we really do not have enough peace and tranquility, and it is extremely important to subordinate the interior to create harmony inside and out. This is what the five most requested bathroom trends of 2022 are based on.
Soothing naturalness and serenity are today at the heart of a key concept for bathroom design – and it has already been called Back to Nature, or, as young British designers called it, A La Fresca! Today, the desire for unity with nature is becoming more and more in demand both for residents of megalopolises, where we so often lack air and light, and for residents of spacious country houses. Those who want to let lightness, serenity and natural freshness into their interior are advised to pay attention to the following techniques:
- A calm, almost neutral palette that allows your vision to be completely relaxed. The classic shades of beige, brown, gray, soft greens and muted whites still reign supreme in trendy interiors, and the bathroom is no exception.
- The most natural textures. The emaciated gloss of the tile gave way to the subtle yet tangible beauty of natural stone, marble, polished terracotta, onyx and majolica based on natural clay. The charm of such textures is revealed gradually – however, it makes you fall in love very strongly.
- Even more light and transparency. Designers tend to deny any bulky and solid structures within the bathroom. They are being replaced by stylish shower areas, and those who can afford it install glass partitions and walls and even glass ceilings.
- Relax in green. A fashionable bathroom cannot be considered as such without… plants. The more there are in the room, the more your interior matches the current trends. Most importantly, choose shade-loving and moisture-loving crops that will feel especially comfortable in such an environment.
The whimsical patterns of the classics and the baroque were sent by designers to the reserve in 2022. Intricate figures and asymmetry went there too. Extremely clear geometric shapes come to the fore, setting a tangible rhythm for the interior and enchanting with unconditional harmony. A similar effect is achieved using the following design solutions:
- strict and laconic ornament on the tile – most often abstract;
- the correct and angular shape of the tile itself – and the rectangle has become the undisputed favorite;
- small patterns repeating in a clear sequence.
Rounded sinks, exclusive curved cabinets and unusual shelves are also worth putting off until better times. Although the designers do not openly proclaim this, the fact remains: laconicism has finally settled in modern bathrooms, subjugating not only small, but also impressive spaces. This trend can be followed in the following aspects:
- Plumbing. Rectangular inset and overhead bathtubs, techno-style taps, bathtubs without unnecessary roundness – today this is an absolute must-have.
- Shower area design. Today, you can safely do without pretentiousness and excessive exclusivity: a rectangular pallet, a straight sliding partition and a ventilation grill of the same shape are enough to achieve the balance so important today.
- Furniture and accessories. Laconic consoles, tall rectangular wardrobes and cabinets, mirrors without elaborate frames provide a harmonious organization of space with minimal effort.
Achievements of scientific and technological progress today are so firmly integrated into the field of design that one can hardly do without them when creating topical interior solutions. There are many technical innovations on the market today that will make your bathroom even more comfortable and functional. Among them:
- Smart mixers. Models with touch buttons and spouts with LED backlighting that change color depending on the water temperature have become very popular solutions, especially for families with children. Now you can perform water procedures without fear of getting burned or getting hypothermia.
- Backlight with motion sensors. A great solution for owners of a combined bathroom, as well as for those who want to feel confident when they need to visit the bathroom at night. Additional groups of energy-saving lamps create soft diffused light, comfortable for the eyes and sufficient for safe movement.
- Electrochromatic glass. Wide floor-to-ceiling windows and glass partitions allow more natural light to enter the bathroom. However, there is a privacy side to this coin. The way out of the situation is the so-called magic glasses, which with one click of the switch become dull and hide from prying eyes everything that I would like to hide.
- Heated cabinets. An innovative solution to keep your room tidy. Now there is no need to break the harmony with bath accessories hung on the heated towel rail: the towels folded in such a cabinet will dry themselves.
- Electronic shower control systems. They are panels with buttons that allow you to control the temperature and force of water pressure, change the type of jet and even adjust the lighting in the shower area.
However, these are far from all the technical innovations offered for the bathroom. Those who are crazy about gadgets should also pay attention to mobile apps for controlling bathroom equipment, touch-sensitive soap dispensers, mirrors with built-in TVs and toilets with automatic flush, built-in air freshener and heated seats.
Ahead of 2022, designers have declared a decisive battle against clutter and clutter in bathrooms. No negligence, no clutter and unnecessary items “for beauty”. A flawless bathroom today shines with cleanliness and a carefully thought-out arrangement of each item, which is achieved with the following furniture and accessories:
- closed cabinets and storage systems;
- special stands and rails;
- correctly selected containers for care supplies and cosmetics.
However, this does not mean at all that your bathroom should be faceless. Decorating a room still allows you to bring exclusivity to the interior, and therefore should not be neglected in any case. However, it is important to observe a sense of proportion. Of course, it’s not worth making and hanging all free planes with figurines, candles, vases and posters, but two or three stylish and properly selected accessories will allow the bathroom to look like on the cover of a glossy magazine.
The current bathroom palette for 2022 is not so diverse – however, the most harmonious combinations are possible within its limits. So, take a look at the following colors and shades:
- blue and green – pastel or rich, creating a feeling of cleanliness, freshness and a pleasant sea breeze;
- earthy and coffee -like for undeniably elegant interiors;
- beige and peach – tones that combine warmth, light and visual space;
- gray – cool, soothing and neutral;
- white – clean, fresh and always relevant.
An interesting detail is the matt black elements in the bathroom interior. These can be pieces of furniture, faucets or accessories. In any case, thanks to them, the room will look even more interesting.
In 2022, chandeliers and large ceiling lights will finally go into the shadows, giving priority to zone and spot lighting. In modern bathrooms, lighting scenarios can be created by:
- spotlights located in certain areas;
- LED illumination of mirrors or the space above the bathroom, as well as the ceiling and floor;
- minimalistic interior lamps on the walls.
Porcelain stoneware and tiles continue to dominate the list of bathroom flooring materials. However, today there are new solutions added to them that are worth trying. Among them:
- Quartz vinyl tiles. The moisture-resistant PVC coating combines the advantages of linoleum and laminate and will delight you with environmental friendliness.
- Terrazzo. The tiles with the design of the famous Venetian tiles have become the hallmark of the most stylish interiors.
- Cork. A natural and effective eco-style bathroom finish.
- Pebbles. Quite an extraordinary solution that will appeal to those who love everything unusual. It is unwise to use pebbles for the entire floor area, so it is most often recommended for finishing shower areas.
- Natural wood. Rare exclusive bathroom option. For such a floor, special elements are required – with a moisture-resistant impregnation or coating.
Even with an impressive variety of materials, tiles and porcelain stoneware remain key solutions for bathroom floors and walls. Today, factories produce hundreds and even thousands of collections of tiles of various textures, patterns and colors, but the trends of 2022 are ruthless – and strictly filter out what will be really fashionable. When considering a finishing solution, you should take a closer look at the following tile options:
- black marble effect – an elegant and luxurious material, austere, respectable, refined and easy to care for at the same time;
- tiles with a 3D effect – creating three-dimensional geometric patterns with a sense of movement without bright accents;
- wood – textured tiles and porcelain stoneware – primarily in vintage style, with scuffs, cracks and the effect of brushed or rough processing;
- with a floral pattern – preferably large, tropical, in deep or neutral colors;
- under polished and oxidized metal – an ideal solution for a bathroom in the style of high-tech, minimalism, urban and industrial;
- mosaics are still a good way to give the interior the right rhythm and geometric clarity.
Fashionable bathroom faucets successfully combine elegance and hi-tech. The most popular solutions for 2022 promise to be:
- matte faucets with sleek long handles;
- single-lever mixer taps with open spout – both chrome-plated and colored;
- touch-sensitive models with diode backlight;
- plumbing with vintage handles and copper, brass or bronze finishes;
- futuristic mixers with a striking wide spout.
Bathroom storage systems in 2022 are completely subordinated to the concept of ergonomics and functionality, especially when it comes to a small room. The best solution for a fashionable interior in the coming year will be:
- narrow, vertically elongated pencil cases;
- built-in wardrobes with blind doors;
- small wall cabinets with mirrored facades;
- wardrobes with smooth fronts without handles;
- furniture with diode lighting.
The mirror provides the bathroom with the necessary functionality, and therefore remains one of the key elements in interior design. Designers suggest paying maximum attention to the choice of this accessory and focusing on the following options:
- Mirrors with built-in lighting. Today they are at the peak of popularity, as they make the care procedures more accurate and can even act as a source of additional lighting.
- Frameless. Rimless mirrors have been announced as almost the only possible solution for a fashionable bathroom in 2022. The maximum that designers allow is an unobtrusive thin chrome frame or a frame made of black gloss.
- Anti-fog mirrors. A must-have for those who like to take a bath often and for a long time and take care of themselves. Now you don’t have to worry about the transparency of the glass and do not waste time wiping and removing streaks.
- Twin mirrors. A practical solution for large bathrooms. Thanks to such accessories, everyone can have their own little personal space.
- Mirrors with built-in TV. A great option for those who prefer to stay up to date or enjoy watching their favorite programs in the most comfortable environment.
Not all current trends are reasonable for bathrooms with limited footage. Some tendencies propose to act on a scale that is physically impossible in a small space. However, the designers have prepared on all fronts and offer many solutions for decorating a stylish small bathroom in 2022:
- suspended and built-in storage systems;
- vertically lined cabinets;
- combining a bath and a washbasin into a single shower area;
- laconic lamps, lighting for zoning;
- the use of glossy and mirror surfaces to visually increase the space;
- large tiles of light shades without any ornament;
- minimalistic plumbing with a laconic design.
Bathroom counter trends 2022
When new trends appear in the interior, the old ones assimilate with them – or turn into anti-trends that can tell the sophisticated eye that your bathroom is already “démodée”. To avoid this risk, you should abandon the following solutions:
- Plastic. It is not environmentally friendly, impractical and looks extremely cheap. That is why designers suggest removing plastic hooks, shelves, cabinets and accessories somewhere far away.
- Shower cabins. Once upon a time, these volumetric designs slightly pushed the classic baths, and now they themselves are declared out of fashion. Now the hit parade of fashionable solutions is headed by shower areas – with or without bumpers, with light glass partitions and the most modern plumbing fixtures.
- Bright colors. As mentioned earlier, the bathroom is the very room where you can relax and forget about the stress accumulated during the day. When the color of the walls and furniture dazzles in the eyes, it is impossible to do this. Even if you are a fan of a rich palette, give up the idea of using even bright accents in the bathroom – stylish experiments should be left for the kitchen or living room.
- Open storage systems. Shelves of various sizes and shapes are in line with the key trend of 2022 – ergonomics. When everything in your bathroom is on display, it creates a sense of clutter. Wall cabinets and built-in storage systems with blind doors will help change the situation – and small shelves can be useful for arranging live plants.
- Hexagon tiles. Complex shapes and lines are less and less popular in the design of bathrooms today. That is why you should be extremely wary of such material, preferring a rectangle and a square.
Key Recommendations + Photo Gallery
Finally, it is worth mentioning another key trend for bathrooms in 2022 – individuality and harmony. When you enter the room and immediately feel peace and relaxation, when the interior as a whole and every little thing pleases the eye, and everything you need is at hand, you can congratulate yourself on the fact that your bathroom is the height of perfection, first of all for yourself. Even if you haven’t followed the hottest trends of the season.