In essence, shabby chic is an amazing mix of sophisticated vintage aesthetics and rustic charm. Antique finds, imperfect finishes, sparkling chandeliers, lace details and lots of white are indispensable attributes of the style. But the illusory negligence of the interior in this concept is the result of a design thought out to the smallest detail. In 2023, shabby chic interior trends is inspiring designers around the world to experiment and pair more daringly. What trends can you expect from style in the coming year?
The abundance of “delicate” decor, pastel colors and floral motifs can turn a shabby-chic interior into a sugary “dollhouse”. In order to prevent such an oversight, designers advise using industrial elements: a brutal dining table, a frame with metal details and other similar accents. Even some modern objects in the form of lamps with copper shades will be quite appropriate for themselves.
The idea of total white is not required at all. You can recreate the atmosphere of style with the help of an unusual palette, using richer accents in details, pieces of furniture, and colors. Choose natural, but slightly muted shades of green, yellow, brown, blue. The following combinations will also be relevant:
- White with dusty gray, light blue, light green, mint green, pale pink;
- Dark accents with muted creams, whites and grays;
- Accent black, yellow, pink details and accessories on a white background;
- Blue-green decor in a white room.
The character of the style is also evident in the lace details. But there is no need to turn your room into a “kingdom of openwork”, covering all surfaces with lace textiles. A few accents will be enough. To emphasize the shabby chic flavor, add openwork to simple things. You can decorate the ends of shelves or lamp shades with thin lace, bed linen or sofa pillows with a neat lace trim will also look beautiful.
Combine lace with different types of textured textiles, be it rough upholstery, velvet on decorative pillows or knitted blanket.
Old objects do not have to fulfill their direct function. So, wooden boxes can serve as colorful coffee tables in the living room, old doors can serve as a unique headboard, and an inconspicuous garden bucket can successfully play the role of a flower pots. Consider a few ideas on how you can still stylishly beat the interior:
- Use “hand-made” . Decorate items (for example, a chest of drawers, a chest of drawers, a bedside table) with decoupage or craquelure applications. Go over the wood furniture with a stiff metal brush, add a touch of patina to make it look artificially aged, or replace the handles of the drawers with exclusive antique ones.
- Mix new and old things . Do not rush to throw out cute knick-knacks from a flea market or a buffet inherited from your great-grandmother. Such things are ideally combined with imitation of luxurious vintage – artificially aged items that are sold in specialized stores.
- Change old furniture . It is not at all necessary to buy new upholstered furniture that would ideally fit into the atmosphere of the style. Find removable floor covers that are typical of shabby chic.
As a rule, the shabby style is a dominance of gentle, pastel colors and floral motifs. Luxurious murals on the facades, cute prints on the upholstery of furniture, cute floral designs on the curtains create an atmosphere of warmth and comfort, add romance. Of course, all this has a place to be, but designers recommend not being limited to strict rules and taking a closer look at more modern geometric shapes and clear lines. Stripes, checks and other geometric patterns can perfectly match floral motifs. The main thing is that all the details and accents look harmonious, creating a single thematic plot.
Add lightness and charm to the space by using transparent decor items. Here are some ideas for inspiration:
- Original glassware in pastel colors;
- Crystal flower vases;
- A beautiful collection of jars for storing food;
- Transparent plafonds on lamps.
Shabby Chic Interior 2023: Conclusions
Shabby chic in the interior is quite picky about details, he teaches to find aesthetics in not ideal things – already lived, old, shabby. Fashion trends in the field of design make it possible to break traditions and rules, combining this style with other similar directions, fantasizing with bright accents, decor, and also to show your abilities in the field of hand-made.