Whether you go for a minimalist style or take a bold approach to your living room interior design, the picture is not complete without a matching backdrop. That is why wallpapers remain among the most popular finishing materials due to the variety of solutions and relatively affordable cost.
We would like to bring you the latest modern living room wallpaper design ideas to help you keep up with the latest wallpaper trends for 2024 and the coming years. Current trends promise spectacular combinations of nature-inspired elements, neutral and bright colors, simple patterns and eclectic combinations to suit any desire. We’ll go over the main points to consider when selecting “wall clothes” and give you the secrets to buying the perfect wallpaper for your living room. We wish you happy reading and inspiration!
A trend that is gaining more and more popularity in 2024 and promises to remain relevant in the coming seasons is the embodiment of the beauty of natural solutions in the home interior. There is no easier way to apply this approach to wallpaper than by using natural hues that can create a cozy yet mesmerizing atmosphere.
The current palette of such colors includes gradations loved by millions:
- Earthy tones. Use wallpaper in a calm brown tones, paying special attention to density, patterns and textures. So, for example, a material with a gold or terracotta pattern is suitable for classics, for a modern interior – monochrome, granite pattern or geometric print.
- Grey-green. Exquisite in its naturalness, the gray-green palette beats all records in popularity. Sage, mint, rosemary, quartz – wallpapers in such colors are good even in monochrome, not to mention combined with fashionable prints.
- Positive yellow. Although for a long time yellow was considered too bright in order to be background, today designers are more favorable to it. Try straw and mustard shades that are fashionable today – they are especially effective in combination with emerald and blue furniture.
- Dark purple. Wallpaper in a deep eggplant shade conquers with a luxurious look, even if they are decorated with a modest pattern. Balance it with light furniture and metallic decor and enjoy the unusual contrast.
- Bold chartreuse. A sparkling shade that combines the most cheerful shades of green and yellow – a real find for wallpaper in the living room. If you often feel tired and depressed, give preference to this finishing material that can charge with positive.
- Soft neutrals. You can’t talk about color trends and lose sight of the wallpaper in light, calm shades. Calm warm white and cream, beige and silver gray – you will have plenty to choose from.
What was once a classic will always be a classic. The same goes for vintage style, which never ceases to amaze us with its perfect blend of old values and modern solutions.
When it comes to wallpaper, opt for traditional light browns, beiges and burgundy hues, lush floral motifs and baroque ornaments. This perfect combination will help create a gorgeous background that is not without luxury. Try to match furniture and textiles with upholstery to match the base color of the wallpaper – for perfect harmony.
Plastic and open texture of wood, simple shapes and complex lamps, clean, bright and bold colors – such was the retro era. As for the wallpaper, such interiors were characterized by contrasts and a slightly naive geometric print.
Try to take this idea into service: the dynamic wallpaper effect created by such wallpaper will bring positive into the room and favorably diversify the conciseness of the design.
The last months have shown us how important and valuable it is to spend time outdoors. Therefore, the latest trends suggest a natural approach to interior elements. The ideal way to create just such an atmosphere in the interior is to choose watercolor patterns with motifs created by nature itself for the wallpaper. In addition to the refreshing effect, they will create a great interior rhythm.
Soothing colors and delicate patterns of plants, the effect of a sea wave or a mysterious rainforest – set the interior of the living room exactly the mood you need.
There is hardly a better place to decorate a wall with a fresco than a living room. Depending on what style of interior you have chosen, you can focus on a variety of subjects, and if funds allow, then order the design you need. The most important thing is to balance the image format with the dimensions of the room: giant prints will create a depressing effect in a small room, and a pattern with small details will create annoying ripples in a spacious living room.
Do not forget to correctly determine the location of the fresco. Firstly, it should be visible from almost anywhere in the living room, and secondly, a wall with such decor cannot be blocked by anything.
Toile de Jouy is translated from French as “linen fabric” or “canvas” for painting. On such a fabric, pastoral paintings and views of Provence were usually depicted in blue, red or black tones. Over time, this motif migrated to high fashion, and a couple of decades later, to interior design.
In the 18th century, the walls in the homes of wealthy citizens were often upholstered with such a fabric, which created the effect of being inside a luxurious box. Today, you could very well repeat this idea with wallpapers of this design – even if they are not fabric. Classics, Provence, vintage and retro offer quite ample opportunities for experiments in the living room, especially if you choose furniture, curtains and decor in the appropriate style and monochrome, avoiding excessive variegation.
The latest trends invite you to go beyond the limitations of wallpaper design. Are you wondering how this is possible? The answer is simpler than you thought. Consider textured wallpaper, and what we mean by texture has more to do with perception than a more straightforward two-dimensional pattern.
Choose wallpapers that mimic certain materials, such as stone, brick, and even patinated metal, to give your room a classy industrial feel. If you do not have the opportunity to purchase authentic materials, wallpaper will be a very relevant way out – especially if you do not save too much and choose quality materials with impeccable texture repetition.
Wallpapers with geometric prints became popular a few decades ago, but today this design is still at the peak of popularity – although its variations change from season to season. This time, eclecticism is next in line: designers offer to try classic stripes, stylish broken lines and zigzags, interlacing rings, and combinations of colored rhombuses.
If your living room is small, give preference to wallpaper with a small vertical pattern, which will visually increase the height of the ceilings and the amount of space. In a spacious living room, you can safely try a large and bright print – including in metallic color.