New Trends In Modern Curtains 2023
Contemporary interiors require complete harmony and careful study of every square centimeter of space. It is not surprising that a lot of time is being devoted to window decoration today. Designers already know how fashionable curtains trends in 2023: the list of the most attractive and mesmerizing trends is already ready – and inspires the most stylish solutions for a cozy interior.
- The main curtain trends of 2023
- Curtain trends for the bedroom 2023
- Living Room Curtain Trends 2023
- Kitchen Curtain Trends 2023
- 2023 shower curtain trends
- Cornices trends 2023
- Are curtains out of fashion?
The main curtain trends of 2023
In general trends in the interior for 2023, a lot of attention is paid to curtains. The main task of the designers in this case is to successfully combine the practical and decorative functions of window panels, which should attract a minimum of attention and at the same time contribute to the harmony created in the room. Based on this task, experts have identified five key trends that you should definitely adopt.
Window decoration with transparent and translucent draperies is a great solution for windows facing north, as well as for small rooms in which the balance of light and air must be carefully maintained. At the same time, you will not need to use curtains made of dense fabrics in this case: weightless draperies will create the necessary feeling of cleanliness, spaciousness and lightness.
When looking for materials for such decoration, it is quite reasonable to dwell on the following fabrics:
- Veil. Sheer or sheer fabric with a matte and smooth texture. It scatters sunlight extremely well, making the room appear bright, but without blinding sunshine. The material is equally effective in any interior, and the variety of colors adds to its advantages.
- Kiseya. A rather rare solution today, which, however, is quite relevant for kitchens and interiors in the boho style.
- Fatin. A material with a fine-mesh texture that better transmits sunlight and, thanks to the volumetric weaving, makes the window decoration more expressive.
The opposite trend to the one mentioned above is dense fabrics that practically do not transmit light. In fact, there is no paradox here. Today, many perceive their home as their own fortress, and such curtains give a feeling of comfort, security and safety. In addition, opaque draperies are a godsend for bedrooms and south-facing windows.
As for the materials for such curtains, it can be either a very dense blended fabric, or a blackout fashionable today. At the same time, it is worth paying attention to color, since on such a texture it turns into a powerful interior accent. Choose shades of paintings from the most current palette:
- dusty rose – moderately light, with light gentle tints;
- mustard – moderately bright and rich, filling the room with warmth and joy of life;
- sea blue – deep and noble, informing the atmosphere of a relaxed aristocracy;
- mint and sage are charming greenish tones that give calm and coolness.
Designers warmly welcome natural materials in the interior, so the spread of the trend to draperies is not at all surprising. Today, curtains made of very dense cotton have become especially popular. The fabric pleases the eye with its natural texture, unpretentiousness and lack of tendency to fade, as well as the ability to enhance the color depth and visual volume of the pattern.
Linen curtains are a special article. They categorically do not accept ornaments, or bright colors, or excessive processing. Slightly rude and charming in its immediacy, the weaving of the canvas is beautiful in itself, not to mention its ability to bring ease and simplicity into the interior, which even looks expensive.
Another discovery of the coming year is dupiony silk. The amazingly soft fabric of loose silkworm cocoons lies in beautiful folds and pleases with luxurious shine. Curtains made of such material will honor the exquisite art deco and neoclassicism.
In the fashionable pursuit of asceticism, some designers have gone to the extreme and now assert: the best window decor is the complete absence of any decor. Lovers of genuine home comfort, of course, do not succumb to provocation – especially since today they have a choice. Modern window systems have thus become a rational compromise between traditional elegance and functional laconicism.
If this position is still close to you, consider the following options for controlling natural light:
- blinds from various materials;
- modern shutters;
- roller blinds;
- Roman curtains;
- pleated blinds;
- Japanese panels made of paper, polyester or textiles.
Of course, it is no longer possible to deny the dominance of monochrome in textile trends for 2023 – everything is too obvious to try to think otherwise. However, this domination is by no means usurpation, and therefore prints and drawings on curtains will find a place in the coming season. However, be careful: the choice of such solutions is not too wide, and therefore try to experiment with the following options:
- simple medium-sized botanical prints – primarily leaves from the trees we are used to;
- subtly calm geometric patterns a tone darker or lighter than the color of the curtain;
- floral print is light, minimalistic, unobtrusive, without a complex and ornate pattern.
Even in the context of today’s minimalism and an emphasis on the reasonable use of textile elements, designers honestly admit: you cannot do without curtains in the bedroom. Trends for 2023 are very democratic in relation to this room, and if you like traditional draperies, and not laconic blinds, do not deny yourself such a pleasure. Moreover, an up-to-date guide on fashionable curtains in the bedroom is already ready for you:
- opting for sophisticated muted shades such as sage, beige, mustard, dusty rose, sea blue and fumo;
- plain curtains without patterns and designs – for a calm atmosphere without unnecessary visual noise;
- airy translucent canvases of light fabrics – veil and tulle are especially popular today;
- curtains made of dense, light-proof fabrics – including blackout;
- canvases made of natural materials that have preserved the texture – primarily linen and cotton;
- the use of two curtains at once – with a difference in shade of 1-2 tones or completely contrasting colors.
When designing a living room in accordance with the trends of 2023, do not forget about such an important detail as window textiles. Contemporary draperies strike a balance between functionality and aesthetics, as they not only regulate natural light, but also add texture and color. The following types of curtains allow you to ensure a flawless design:
- transparent airy canvases made of veils – for more natural light and minimal visual noise;
- dense monochrome curtains, laid in straight folds – in contrast to the color of the walls or darker by 1-2 tones;
- draperies made of natural cotton and linen with a pronounced texture;
- with a medium-sized and laconic floral print in the Scandi style;
- canvases trimmed with small pompoms or short tassels – more in the boho style than in the classic;
- current window decoration systems – roller blinds and roman blinds, blinds, Japanese panels.
The main requirement that designers and owners of impeccable taste make for curtains for the kitchen is a moderate length, unless, of course, you are decorating the dining area. If you have chosen textiles, then take a closer look at translucent and transparent canvases with a length just below the windowsill, or choose a thick fabric. In the latter case, it is important that its color is in harmony with the tone of the headset or the wall decoration – there is initially a little textiles in the kitchen, and it is important to fit it as organically as possible.
However, interior experts still consider blinds, shutters and roller blinds the best option for kitchen windows – due to their ergonomics and compactness, they are completely safe, and their care is much easier.
If we talk about curtains in the interior as a whole, then we cannot fail to mention the shower curtains. With the advent of such solutions as glass partitions and shower areas in the interior, they have slightly lost their relevance, but they are still quite in demand. So, if you are for the traditional, albeit adapted to modern realities, bathroom design, then take a closer look at the following options.
- curtains with ombre or degradation;
- curtains made of transparent and translucent materials;
- options with one or more rows of ruffles at the bottom.
A little warning about color: refrain from both bright and contrasting colors and catchy, slightly childish prints. Your choice is only the lightest soothing shades and neutral patterns. Also pay attention to the material: it is worth abandoning cheap PVC in favor of denser and more expensive-looking polyester and textiles with a water-repellent impregnation.
There is one extremely interesting moment in the trends for 2023 – the collision of two opposite trends. In this case, we are talking about the selection of curtain rods for curtains. In this aspect, the opinions of designers diverge radically: some suggest using only hidden systems, completely turning off the cornice as a decorative element, others, on the contrary, insist on its role as the most expressive interior accent.
In fact, it is very simple to find a compromise here: fans of minimalism can safely adopt the first option, the second – take a closer look at fashionable decorative solutions:
- coatings for brass, copper, bronze and matte black metal;
- cornices with acrylic inserts;
- systems with wooden elements;
- neoclassical design cornices with laconic tips.
Are curtains out of fashion?
We have already repeatedly mentioned laconic and ergonomic blinds and roller blinds, which today beat all popularity records. Does the demand for them mean that the time of traditional fabric curtains and curtains has passed? The designers are sure: everything is not so simple and categorical. In fact, textile curtains are unlikely to ever prove to be a demode, and the arguments for this claim are pretty strong:
- Functionality. It has already been proven that curtains not only allow you to regulate the natural lighting of a room, but also keep warm in the room – the heat loss from them is half as much as from modern blinds. In addition, it is not possible to install systems that are relevant today on any windows: for huge openings from wall to wall or from floor to ceiling, it will be necessary to make blinds or curtains to order – and this is much more expensive and less aesthetically pleasing than fabric curtains.
- Style. Designers who support the preservation of curtains in the interior compare them to a Chanel jacket in fashion, to a black car in car production, to roast beef in cooking. Behind all these metaphors, there is a completely obvious idea: traditional textile draperies will never become outdated, and their use in the design of a room, provided they are correctly selected, will always hit the top ten.
- Practicality. Blinds and roller blinds, with all their advantages, do not always demonstrate a sufficient level of reliability: plastic slats can break, fabric flap and tear, and the lifting and lowering mechanisms can jam and jam. With traditional fabric curtains, this can hardly happen. Moreover, modern materials have a strong structure, are easy to wash and do not fade.
- Combination and flexibility of decorative solutions. Fabric draperies are easily adaptable to any current trends. Lambrequins in the era of the classics, frills and ruffles in the times of modern and art deco, strict straight folds in the period of minimalism – textiles can always be arranged and laid as you need them. Moreover, traditional curtains are very friendly to blinds and roller blinds – and, if necessary, they can be perfectly combined when decorating a window.
It is obvious that curtains remain a popular option for decorating windows – and their design obediently changes from season to season. Feel free to use fabric draperies and modern window systems in combinations that are interesting and comfortable for you. So you can easily stay within the most current trend of 2023 – a stylish mix, in which there is a place for both classic and innovative solutions.